In a country where the average wage earner makes less than $2.00 a day, tuition, even in the public schools, is almost impossible for most Haitian families. For a Reason works with promising students and their families to keep them in school by supporting them for the duration of their educational journey. It is our hope that later in their lives, these students will do the same for others.
Consider the following:
- 50% of primary school age children are not enrolled in school
- 35% of girls over six never go to school
- 30% of children attending school will leave before the third grade
- 60% of all school children will leave school before the sixth grade
- Estimated annual tuition for a student is approximately $100.00
- Costs for uniforms and materials average $35.00 per year
For a Reason supports children in various stages of their education. However, once For a Reason commits to a student, it is with the understanding that support continues for the duration of the student’s academic journey. For a Reason will not commit to a new student without the financial resources to support that student for his or her entire educational journey.
Our first group of students are currently in their secondary (high school) level of education having completed their elementary education with success. When they successfully complete their secondary level, For a Reason is ready to support them in their professional or university pursuits.